The New Hope Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1955 by Reverend Arthur Roberts, his wife Leatrice, and Sis. P.B. Espinoza. The church was located at 339 North Sierra Street. Under the direction of Rev. Roberts’ leadership, the property at 1531 Plumas was purchased. Rev. Arthur Roberts resigned and has since passed on.
In 1959, Rev. B.I. Skittern was called and served for four years. He is now in Glory.
Rev. S. E. Harris was called and served as an outstanding pastor as well as a community leader. Under his pastor ship, a deposit was made on our current location. Rev. Harris has since gone to be with the Lord.
Rev. W.M. Wright came to New Hope with a vision of what this edifice would look like. Rev. Wright preached the first sermon at 1810 Helena in the basement. During this time, Rev. W. C. Webb and the Second Baptist Church family allowed us to use their church for services and we are forever grateful to them.
Rev. H. Griffin came to new Hope preaching and teaching the gospel. His emphasis was Christian education.
In 1979, Rev. Johnny T. Collins, Sr. was called to pastor and after much prayer and reflection, the church name was changed to Greater New Hope Missionary Baptist Church. The parcel across the streets was purchased; the parking lot was paved; and the mortgage burned. Rev. Collins is now in Glory.
Rev. Glenn E. Taylor, Sr. was called in 1985. Under Pastor’s Taylor’s leadership, Greater new Hope became a site for community, state and national forums. A cornerstone for the church was also purchased and set.
In October of 1989, Rev. James Cox, Jr. was called to pastor and he served until 1990.
In October of 1991, Rev. Onie Cooper was called to pastor and served until October 1994. Under his leadership, Rev. Cooper personally purchased and donated the Greater new Hope sign that is mounted in front of the church.
In 1995, Rev. Ozzie Joseph was called to pastor and served until December 2000. During his pastorship, the church parsonage was built.
Rev. Irving Gray was called to pastor in November 2001. Under Pastor Gray’s leadership, Christian education and community outreach was emphasized. Rev. Gray Served until September 2010.
On January 16, 2011 Rev. William B. Lyons Jr. was called to serve as pastor of Greater New Hope Missionary Baptist Church. The members of the Greater New Hope continue praying, trusting and believing God’s word, 2 Corinthians 5:7 reads “For we walk by faith, not by sight”. We are looking to God our joy and our guidance as we continue to trust and “Walk by Faith.”